If you’re looking for a day full of family fun look no further than Farmington. The Oakland County city has lots of exciting activities (indoor + outdoor) that the entire family will love.
Experience the great outdoors – inside at the Farmington Nature Center. Admission is free and there is lots to do an explore. Say hi to animals and learn about their habitat, have hands-on fun with STEM activities and crafts, check out nature through a microscope and sit down with a new nature book on a couch or in a tent! After you’ve had fun inside, take in the fresh air and walk one of the nature trails.
- Address: 24915 Farmington Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48336
- Hours: Monday – Saturday from 10am to 4pm and Sunday from 12pm to 4pm
Bundle up and enjoy the show! Farmington has two of the best sledding hills in the area at Shiawassee Park and Heritage Park – they’re easy to spot too because they’re surrounded by bales of hay. Head to downtown Farmington and skate at the Riley Park Ice Rink – the outdoor rink is open daily and is FREE to the public. There is no skate rental but there are skates you can borrow. If you want to skate inside, the Farmington Ice Arena has open skate hours and skate rental.
- Shiawasse Park: Shiawassee & Powers Roads, Farmington, MI 48336
- Heritage Park: 24915 Farmington Road, Farmington Hills, 48336
- Riley Ice Rink: 33113 Grand River Ave, Farmington, MI 48335
- Farmington Ice Arena: 35500 W. 8 Mile Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48335
While most cities have public libraries, few of them have really cool children’s departments. Farmington Community Library’s Children’s Area is located on the lower level and has countless activities for kids – including a stage with play house – your littles will easily spend hours in imaginative play. The Downtown Branch is also a great place to check out – especially if you’re looking for free, indoor play space for toddlers.
- Address: 32737 W. 12 Mile Road, Farmington Hills, MI 48334
- Hours: Monday-Thursday 9am to 9pm, Friday & Saturday 10am to 6pm and Sunday 1pm to 5pm
The Civic Theater is a great place to take the kids for movie night. Tickets are less than $6 and the concessions won’t set you back. The old fashioned theater is located in downtown Farmington and shows new releases and old favorites.
- Address: 33332 Grand River Avenue, Farmington, MI 48334
The original play cafe, Jungle Java remains a great place to take your kids. With a large structure for older kids featuring slides, a basketball court, warrior courses and a playhouse and a secure open playspace for littles, everyone will have lots of fun.
- Address: 27658 Middlebelt Rd, Farmington Hills, MI 48334
- Hours: Open daily
Photo credit: Facebook