School is out and it’s time to kick-off the new year with family time and FUN! Here are theings to do this weekend – and Monday too. Save your time and energy and make it a Papa Romano’s pizza night.
Celebrate The New Year
It’s been a year! Let’s celebrate the end of 2022 and ring in the new year at one of these events happening on Saturday.
- Noon Year’s Eve @ Toledo Zoo (Toledo)
- New Year’s Eve Party @ Rochester Play (Rochester)
- New Year’s Eve Family Bash @ Paradise Park (Novi)
- New Year’s Eve Countdown @ Beacon Park (Detroit)
- New Year’s Eve Party @ Kirksey Recreation (Livonia)
- New Year’s Eve Bash @ Discovery Center of Macomb (Mt. Clemens)
- New Year’s Family Night Out @ Community Center (Troy)
- Harry Potter Skate and Ball Drop @ Riley Park (Farmington)
Museums are always fun and these unique exhibits and events make the visit even more special.
- Monroe Street Midway – artic slide, puck-puck golf, bumper cars and arcade
- Go Ice Skating at The Rink @ Campus Martius
- FREE Drop-In Art Workshops @ The DIA (Saturday only)
- Check out the recently renovated Belle Isle Nature Center
- Go to a Detroit Piston’s game – they play at Little Caesars Arena on December 26th & 28th
Special Exhibits and Events
Looking for a fun, unique experience? Here are temporary exhibits and activities to check out.
- Electric Playhouse Travels @ Michigan Science Center
- Winter Wonder Lights @ Meadow Brook Hall
- Lights Before Christmas @ Toledo Zoo
- Disney’s Heroes and Villain’s @ The Henry Ford
- SUE: The T. rex Experience @ Cranbrook Institute of Science
- Wild Lights @ Detroit Zoo
Get out the house but stay inside. Here are our favorite indoor amusement destinations:
- Kidcadia (Dearborn)
- Rev’d Up Fun (Woodhaven)
- Castaway Play (Howell)
- Launch (Ann Arbor & Novi)
- Urban Air (Livonia, Oxford & Sterling Heights)
- Troy Gym (Troy)
- Yoyo’s Fun Center (Westland)
Spend Time Outside
Whether it’s a first day hike or the kick off of #1000HoursOutside – here are a few of our favorite trails and nature centers to check out.
- 12 Easy Nature Walks With Kids
- Leslie Nature & Science Center
- Lake Erie Metropark Mashland Museum
- Farmington Nature Center
- Burgess-Shadbush Nature Center
Hit The Road
Need a change of scenery or to start the new year in a new spot? Here are fun day trips.
- The Pigeon Comes to Grand Rapids: A Mo Willems exhibit
- Explore the nation’s longest canopy walk at Dow Gardens
- Catch up with family over a chicken dinner in Frankenmuth
- Check out the super cool AirZoo in KZoo
Take A Staycation @ Great Lakes Crossing
Your kids will feel like you’ve travelled a million miles and have memories for a lifetime after an afternoon at Legoland Discovery Center, Peppa Pig World of Play and SEALIFE Michigan! LEGOLAND Discovery Center Michigan is the ultimate indoor LEGO playground – hop on rides, watch a 4D movie, play at the playscape and get creative in one (or all) of the themed LEGO building block areas. Jump into the world of Peppa and her friends at the open concept playland (enter to win tickets too) At SEALIFE Michigan, kids with be awed by over 250 species and engaging exhibits.
Photo credit: Michigan Science Center