Next year, you’ll be able to easily walk, bike or stroll the 3.5 miles of the Detroit Riverfront from Hart Plaza to Belle Isle as the transformation of the former Uniroyal site begins this month.
The countdown has officially started for the Detroit Riverfront’s Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Centennial Park, a 22-acre world-class park located on Detroit’s West Riverfront, The world-class Park will feature a water garden, the William Davidson Sport House, the Delta Dental Play Garden with an array of animal structures and the DTE Foundation Hill, an expansive lawn for special events (including sledding).
In 2019, Delta Dental of Michigan made a $5 million investment in a four-acre playground, the Delta Dental Play Garden. The playground will feature a large 20-foot bear play structure that children can climb up and slide down as well as otters, beavers and other imaginative creatures. The Delta Dental Play Garden will become a popular destination that will help kids spark a connection with nature and develop a life-long love for active living and recreation.
The William Davidson Sport House will add to the public offerings on the Detroit Riverfront and features a raised canopy and skylight in a multi-use flexible space for a range of programs and events.
While we await the final portion of the Riverfront to be complete, there are plenty of destinations to explore. From Hart Plaza to Gabriel Richard Park, here are the family-friendly activities your kids will love.
- Hart Plaza: Home to summer festivals and historic events, the 14 acre plaza is a city icon.
- GM Plaza: Get lost in the RenCen and the step out for fresh air and a run through The Fountains on the promenade.
- Cullen Plaza: Ride the carousel, ride a bike from Detroit Wheelhouse or get tickets for a Diamond Jack’s River Tours.
- Milliken State Park: Walk through the gardens, get pictures by the lighthouse and go fishing on the shoreline.
- Valade Park: Have fun in the sun on the Riverfront sand beach, let the kids run around the play structures and grab a bite to eat from one of Detroit’s great small businesses.
- Mt. Elliott Park: Have a blast at the pirate themed splash pad.
- Gabriel Richard Park: Stroll through the gardens, stand on the rocks by the river and get a picture with Belle Isle’s MacArthur Bridge in the background.