The Detroit Tree Lighting Ceremony is Friday, November 20th @ 7:30pm and it looks a little different this year.
The Christmas season kicks-off in downtown Detroit on November 20th and you can tune into the celebration from the comfort of home. Turn the television to WXYZ’s “Light Up the Season” on Friday, November 20th at 7:30pm to watch a pre-recorded light special featuring Santa and 19,000 lights on the massive downtown tree.
Traditional gathering is discouraged but there are plenty of ways to celebrate the season downtown this year!
Beacon Park will light up on November 20th too! The Children’s Tree features ornaments decorated by local families and it is surrounded by lighting installations, live music, food trucks and more. The picture perfect park is illuminated daily through January 15th with special activities plan throughout the season. The park is open to the public and free to visit.
The Rink at Campus Martius is open every weekend from November 14th to March 7th. You can purchase your skating ticket and reserve your skate rental online. Tickets are $11 for adults and $9 for kids. Skate rental is $5.
Enjoy a bite to eat while you’re downtown. Take your meal with you or grab something for the road.
Find a burger
- Shake Shack // 660 Woodward Ave.
- Lover’s Only // 34 E Grand River Ave.
- Brome Burger // 607 Shelby St.
- Checker Bar // 124 Cadillac Square
- Townhouse // 500 Woodward Ave
- Pizza Papalis // 553 Monroe Ave.
- Pop + Offworld // 128 Cadillac Square.
- Michigan & Trumbull // 160 W Fort St
- Mootz Pizzeria // 1230 Library St
- Pie-Sci // 5163 Trumbull
More family-friendly options
- Get a coney at American or Lafayette // 114 W Lafayette Blvd.
- Say Opa at Pegasus Taverna //558 Monroe Ave
- Warm up with coffee or hot chocolate
PARKING: There will be over 40,000 people downtown for the tree lighting ceremony. Prepare for street closings and find the best place to park here. Some of our go-to options are below:
- Z Lot: 231 Gratiot Ave.
- Detroit Opera House: 1426 Broadway St
- Beaubien Place Garage (Renaissance Center): 238 Beaubien St.
- Greektown: 555 E Lafayette St
Photo credit: Facebook
About Carrie Budzinski
Carrie Budzinski is the Vice President of LittleGuide Detroit. She grew up in Livonia and Detroit and continues to live life in both cities. Carrie loves exploring the city and finding hidden gems in the suburbs..