Thanksgiving is a time to reset and recharge with family. It also starts the countdown to Christmas…and the end of a very long year. Here are some fun family activities to do before the turkey dinner and all throughout the LONG weekend afterwards.
Take Part in A Turkey Day Tradition
Start your day with America’s Thanksgiving Parade! The march down Woodward will air on WDIV, as it does every year – take the trip downtown to watch it live or cozy up in front of the couch.
Kid Approved Activities
If you’re not ready for Christmas festivities, here are some fun activities your kids will love.
- Winter Wonderland at Monroe Street Midway – artic slide, puck-putt, bumper cars, and an arcade
- Learn the science and discoveries of Galileo at Cranbrook Institute of Science
- Feel like you’re on vacation with a trip to LEGOLAND Discovery Center, SEA LIFE Michigan and Peppa Pig World of Play
- Drop into a FREE art workshop at the Detroit Institute of Arts
- Jump, climb, swing and glide at one of four Troy Gym indoor play facilities
Bundle up and have fun outside.
- Bundle up and take in over 5 million LED lights and 500 festive displays during Wild Lights at the Detroit Zoo
- Explore the grounds of Meadow Brook and experience Winter Wonder Lights
- Skate at The Rink in Campus Martius or the brand-new Rink in Royal Oak
- Search for the perfect holiday tree at Blake Farms, then treat yourself to cider and donuts before visiting with Santa, the Grinch or Ana and Elsa!
- Visit one of the 13 Huron-Clinton Metroparks!
Shop Local + Have Fun Downtown
Get your shopping list together and look local this holiday season. You can make errand running more fun for you and the kids when you visit one of these festive local downtowns.
- Birmingham – Free carriage rides and Santa Walk (Saturday, Nov. 25)
- Detroit – Cadillac Lodge and Monroe Street Midway
- Rochester – Big Bright Light Show
- Plymouth – Walk of Trees & Santa Parade (Friday, Nov. 24)
Tis The Season
When the turkey is done, Christmas time as begun! Don’t waste a minute of the most magical time of the year and start celebrating.
- Wayne County Lightfest (Westland)
- Magic of Lights (Clarkston)
- Festival of Trees (Dearborn)
- Fantasyland (Lincoln Park)
- 1001 Winter Wonderland Santa Visit (Detroit)
Photo credit: Bedrock – Monroe Street Midway