Thanksgiving is a time to reset and recharge with family. It also starts the countdown to Christmas and the end of a very long year. Here are some fun family activities to do before the turkey dinner and all throughout the weekend.
Take Part in A Turkey Day Tradition
Start your day with America’s Thanksgiving Parade! The march down Woodward will air on WDIV as it does every year and now you can watch from the comfort of your couch. Check out our favorite family traditions and find new ways to make the day extra special.
Kid Approved Activities
If you’re not ready for Christmas festivities here are some fun activities your kids will love.
- Winter Wonderland at Monroe Street Midway – artic slide, puck-putt, bumper cars and an arcade
- Meet S.U.E. the T.rex at Cranbrook Institute of Science
- See your favorite Disney costumes up close at The Henry Ford
- Drop into a FREE art workshop at the Detroit Institute of Arts
- Jump, climb, swing and glide at one of four Troy Gym indoor play facilities
- Enjoy indoor amusement of all kinds – play structures, ropes course, XD games, bumper cars and more at Rev’d Up Fun
Bundle up and have fun outside
- Skate at The Rink in Campus Martius https://www.downtownplymouth.org/or the brand-new Rink in Royal Oak
- Explore the grounds of the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House (and warm up with a family meal afterwards)
- Search for the perfect holiday tree at Blake Farms, then treat yourself to cider and donuts
- Visit North America’s only International Wildlife Refuge in Trenton
Shop Local + Have Fun Downtown
Get your shopping list together and look local this holiday season. You can make errand running more fun for you and the kids when you visit one of these festive local downtowns.
- Birmingham – Free carriage rides and Santa Walk (Saturday, Nov. 26)
- Detroit – Cadillac Lodge and Monroe Street Midway
- Rochester – Big Bright Light Show
- Plymouth – Walk of Trees Santa Parade (Friday, Nov. 25)
Great Lakes Crossing
Shopping trip (over 185 retailers), Santa visits, Staycation vibes, find it all in one place – Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills.
- Santa’s Flight Academy
- LEGOLAND Discovery Center
- SEA LIFE Michigan
- Peppa Pig World of Play
- Rainforest Cafe (reservations required)
Tis The Season
When the turkey is done, Christmas time as begun! Don’t waste a minute of the most magical time of the year and start celebrating.
- Walking Holiday Light Show: Holiday Stroll @ Canterbury Village, Lights Before Christmas @ Toledo Zoo, Wild Lights @ Detroit Zoo and Winter Wonder Lights @ Meadow Brook Hall
- Drive-Thru Holiday Light Shows: Gift of Lights (Lambertville), Magic of Lights (Clarkston), and Wayne County Lightfest (Westland)
- Have the most memorable family movie night
Photo credit: Bedrock – Monroe Street Midway