The Anna Scripps Whitcomb Conservatory on Belle Isle was designed by Albert Kahn and opened to the public in 1904. Modeled after Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello, the central dome(Palm Room) stands at 85 feet and is flanked by three horticultural arms. The Conservatory is divided into various ‘houses’. The Palm House which includes tropical trees and palms, the Cactus House including succulents and cactus, the Fernery which is sunken to provide cooler conditions and more humidity, the Tropical House where many plants that provide food are housed including bananas, oranges, figs and the Show House which has changing displays of flowering plants.   Photo credit: Facebook  
LittleGuide Detroit