Monroe Street Midway
Make it to the Monroe Street Midway before it closes on January 29th. The Artic Slide and Puck-Puck Golf are free and the bumper cars and arcade are fan favorites!
Go Ice Skating
Winter @ Valade Park
Head to the Detroit Riverfront for Winter at Valade Park! The weekend festivals include special activities and oversized outdoor fires, enjoy hot seasonal alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, make s’mores, grab a sled from the Sled Shed (featuring free sleds when it snows), and more.
- Fire and Ice: January 6 – 8
- Winter Around The World January 20 – 22
- Motown Love: February 3 – 5
- Mardi Gras: February 17 – 19
Detroit Parks and Rec is hosting an epic Winter Fest at Adams Butzel Complex on Saturday, January 14th. There will be ice skating, bumper cars, carnival games, mobile bowling alley, ice fishing, Frozen Forest with Elsa, Ana and Olaf, Kiddie Zone and more! Best of all it’s all FREE!
Visit The Cultural Center
Detroit has some of the best museums and kids of all ages will love them.
- Detroit Institute of Arts – FREE admission for residents of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb county and weekend drop-in art workshops for all ages.
- Charles H. Wright Museum – it’s always a good time to visit the Wright Museum but it can also be a good activity for Black History Month in February.
- Michigan Science Center – let the kids explore space, science and technology all in one place. From live group demonstrations to individual S.T.E.M. stations, it’s a great place for an afternoon of fun.
- Detroit Historical Museum – Take a walk through old Detroit and experience history with hands-on fun.
The Detroit Outdoor Adventure Center and Belle Isle Nature Center give you the best of both worlds – especially in the winter. Fly a plane, ride a snowmobile and travel under a waterfall all while inside at the Michigan DNR’s Outdoor Adventure Center and find FREE fun at the Detroit Zoo’s recently renovated Belle Isle Nature Center.
See your screen favorites live on stage!
- Sesame Street Live @ Fox Theatre: January 20 – 29
- Disney On Ice presents Frozen & Encanto @ Little Caesars Arena: February 16 – 19
- Paw Patrol Live! Heroes Unite @ Fox Theatre: March 3-5
The Sugar Factory
Sweeten up your day with a trip to the Sugar Factory. The new downtown sweet shop is an experience.
Arts & Scrapes
Stock up on supplies for at-home crafting at the Arts & Scraps Community Store. Fill up a large bag for $8 or a small bag for $4.50 with supplies like yarn, fabric, puzzles, wood scraps, tiles, stickies, machine parts, and more recycled creative materials.
Root For The Home Team
Put on your team gear and go to a game!
Visit Belle Isle
The jewel of Detroit is worth visiting all season. Explore the Belle Isle Aquarium (admission is FREE) and Dossin Great Lakes Museum on weekends or take a nature walk any time. The trail behind the Belle Isle Nature Center is newly paved and stroller friendly!
When you need to get out the house but want to stay inside here are a few places to check out:
- Bowling @ Garden Bowl
- Wall climbing @ DYNO
- Roller skating @ RollerCade
- Fowling @ Fowling Warehouse
- Arcade @ POP Pizza (located above Checker Bar)
Photo credit: Jeff Dunn – Facebook – Valade Park