The Festival of Lights (also known as Hanukkah, Chanukah or Hannukkah) begins on December 7th and there are lots of events happening around town. Here’s a list of events to make sure you enjoy 8 “not too crazy” nights.
- Thursday, December 7 – The Menorah In The D is a 26′ menorah which stands in downtown Detroit during Chanuka, join the annual lighting ceremony and enjoy festivities in the city. There will be crafts, games and treats for kids as well as complimentary hot soup, snacks and cider. RSVP is required.
- Thursday, December 7 – The Detroit Public Library will be hosting a special Hanukkah story time and craft for kids to celebrate and learn about this important Jewish holiday.
- Sunday, December 10 – Families will enjoy donuts and latkas, assemble blankets for IDF soldiers, watch the Chanukah story performance, and more fun for the whole family.
- Tuesday, December 12 – Families will enjoy latkes and doughnuts, festive music, a grand dreidel game, cards for Israeli soldiers and lighting the giant menorah. Kids can also enjoy a Chanukah Legoland workshop and go home with their very own light up menorah set
- Thursday, December 14 – Take part in a variety of family friendly Chanukah activities, enjoy the traditional Chanukah delicacies and join the 9th annual lighting of the Art Menorah.
Photo credit: Jewish News